Monday, August 26, 2013

Quantum Physics and the Death of a Marriage

Quantum physics includes the study of cause and effect in sub-atomic particles, things that are really small. It contrasts with Newtonian physics, which is the analysis of cause and effect in visible forces such as gravity.

Some people take Quantum physics to the level of energy and thought. They say that our sub-conscious thoughts and motivations produce results that come to fruition in our lives. Just as a screenwriter writes the script for a movie, they say, we write the script for our lives, which turn out exactly according to the script we wrote.

I know it sounds crazy, but I'm thinking about it. Is is possible that the failed marriage I described yesterday was the result of a script I wrote years ago? Could it have been a full-immersion movie written and directed by me with me as the main character, a movie that turned out exactly according to my plan?

**********
I was in the ninth grade, sitting on the team bus for an away basketball game. The fact that I took the window seat tells you something about me. The person in the aisle seat chooses who climbs over them. The person in the window seat give anyone that choice.

A cheerleader, beautiful as cheerleaders always are, sat next to me and tried to engage me in conversation. I was painfully shy and answered in monysyllables if at all. As we got off the bus I heard another player mock her attempts to talk to me. "So, what's your name?" he mimmicked. "How are you today?"

The next Sunday I got on my bicycle and pedalled four miles to my "girlfriend's" house. Brenda was overweight and unattractive. We walked to the woods behind her house where she took off her bra and let me touch her breasts. I wanted the cheerleader, but only saw myself as worthy of Brenda.

Years later, I married the cheerleader. No, not that cheerleader but the beautiful woman I described in my last post. But did I really see myself as worthy of having a successful, joyful marriage with her, or did I only see myself as deserving Brendas?

I remember a conversation I had with my mother when I was still single, in which she asked what kind of woman I wanted to marry. My response was an angry, "I don't know." Why did I feel that anger to my mother's question? Was it because I didn't really feel worthy to be a husband?

Once when my wife told her father something unloving I had done he replied, "It wasn't because of who you are. He would have done that no matter who he was married to."

I was furious. Everybody knows that men stop being loving because they are not satisfied at home. They become unhappy when their wives stop being their girlfriends. Just ask Dr. Laura.

But now I'm not so sure. I didn't do that because of who my wife was. I did it because of who I was. And the screenplay that I wrote, the full-immersion movie in which my wife and I were the main characters, played out exactly as directed.

"Be gentle with yourself," friends are telling me. I'm not taking full responsibility for the failure of the marriage. I'm not even saying it would have worked had I been the perfect husband. But I do realize that the feelings of unworthiness I had so many years ago played a role in how things turned out.

The author of Busting Loose From the Money Game describes a Phase 1 and a Phase 2 of life. In Phase 1, he says, we limit ourselves in innumerable ways. For me, this included the belief that I was not worthy of having a wonderful marriage with an amazing woman. In Phase 2 we come to understand that we really do have great potential and are infinitely worthy.

Many people (I would even say the majority) live their entire lives without ever reaching Phase 2. For me it took 65 years. Most of the readers of this blog are much younger than that. I hope it doesn't take you as long as it did me.

7 comments:

aemish said...

Oh my gosh, what an incredibly complex and fascinating heritage you have. Please keep writing. That's all I wanted to say. Please keep writing.

Stuffforme9 said...

OH MY. GONE IS INTELLIGENT WRITING REPLACED BY METAPHYSICAL MASTURBATION.

celltech said...

WELCOME BACK !! I just came to search on of your articles from long ago...regarding "killing the gecko"...but never mind that. I stopped looking to see if you would continue writing some time ago. I very much missed your lessons about Islam, Arabs, the mid-east and all else.
I hope you are well. Best wishes always. Thank you for all your work here. A wonderful resource.
Sincerely.

Anonymous said...

I will pray an Islamic prayer for you and your (ex-)wife. Though you have voiced so much hatred and hostility against Islam over the years, I would like to offer you a sign of peace, since I know that you can overcome the anger in you. I hope indeed that you will one day let go of this anger and engage with Muslims, atheists, or whomever, rather than rant against people of other beliefs.

aemish said...

Hope all is well with you.

Packers And Movers Hyderabad said...

Packers And Movers Hitech City Hyderabad
Packers And Movers Lingampally Hyderabad
Packers And Movers Kukatpally Hyderabad
Packers And Movers Turkayamjal Hyderabad
packers And Movers Toroor Hyderabad
Packers And Movers Tellapur Hyderabad

JimGray said...

QuickBooks encounter an amount of undesirable and annoying errors which keep persisting with time if you do not resolved instantly. Certainly one of such QuickBooks issue is Printer issue which mainly arises as a result of a number of hardware and software problems in QuickBooks, printer or drivers.
QuickBooks Support Phone Number

QuickBooks Support Number

QuickBooks Tech Support Number

QuickBooks Tech Support Phone Number

Intuit QuickBooks Support

Intuit QuickBooks Support Number

QuickBooks Customer Service Number

QuickBooks Customer Service

QuickBooks Customer Service Phone Number

QuickBooks Support

QuickBooks Help Number

QuickBooks Helpline Number

Intuit QuickBooks Phone Number

QuickBooks Technical Support Number

QuickBooks Technical Support Phone Number

QuickBooks Toll-free Support Number

QuickBooks Toll-free Number

QuickBooks Support

QuickBooks Desktop Support Number

QuickBooks Support Number USA

QuickBooks Support USA

QuickBooks Customer Support Number

QuickBooks 24/ 7 Tech Support Number

QuickBooks 24/ 7 Tech Support Phone Number

QuickBooks USA Support Number

QuickBooks USA Support Phone Number

QuickBooks 2019 Support Number

QuickBooks 247 Tech Support Number

QuickBooks Support Phone Number 2019

Support Number For QuickBooks